Monday, December 11, 2006

The Big Freeze: Winter Camping









For those of you who dont know I have been in a backpacking class for the last six months. This past weekend I was required to pack up the gear and head to the coldest area in Colorado for one final trip, a winter camping weekend that involved staying in my tent, building snow huts, some roping skills, and avalanche first aid scenarios. All in all the weekend went well, we had 5 degree cold at night, no wind, and a great group to work with. I returned with 10 fingers, 10 toes, both ears and the tip of my nose. Sunday morning was a little hard as about 5 am my toes began to hurt, and towards 8 were still in pain. Having good leaders in my group they got my toes warmed up and I was off to the races. Going to bed at 8pm on Saturday was interesting though I woke up less than 4 hrs later even with some meds to help me doze..... To answer all your questions:

Yes I would do it again, hoping I can figure out my circulation issue.
No you probably would not like, but if you go prepared it can be very comforatable, even got in a few snow huts that felt nicer than my tent.
Yes it was cold, but a lot of fun can be had.
No I did not die.......

Enjoy the Pics.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're alive! I don't think I'd ever want to do it, but your pictures make me miss the mountains... Thank God for this weekend!
sw